Friday, April 17, 2015

Week 14: Jataka Tales: Babbitt (Reading Diary A)

This week I read Babbitt's Jataka Tales unit from the Un-Textbook. The stories I'm going to talk about from the first half of the reading are The Foolish Timid Rabbit, The Princes and the Water-Sprite, and The King's White Elephant. (Story source: Jataka Tales by Ellen C. Babbitt, illustrated by Ellsworth Young (1912).)

The story of the Foolish Timid Rabbit reminded me a lot of Chicken Little. I think that this is a great lesson for a story though because so many people do react immediately to things and are mistaken about what is actually happening. Nevertheless they go and spread the word and soon everyone believes the misinformation. I also think stories like this that have the chains of animals talking that just keeps getting longer and bigger are fun to read.
I also liked the story of the Princes and the Water-Sprite. This story was like a cross between Rama and Lakshmana's exile from Ramayana and the story of the Pandavas at the pond in Mahabharata. I liked that the youngest brother went with his two older brothers after his mom had the older two exiled. It reminded me a lot of Rama when Bharata, I think it was, who tried to stop his mother from exiling Rama and didn't want to be king. I liked the fairy question that the sprite asked and I was glad when he gave the Prince both of his brothers back.
The last story I'm going to talk about is the King's White Elephant. The entire story I was expecting the humans to start mistreating the animals. So many I have read are about how bad humans are to other animals so I guess I was just thinking that would happen again. I was very glad that it didn't happen. I was glad that the carpenters helped the first hurt elephant and continued to treat the animal well when it helped them get trees for their work. I was also worried that the king would hurt the young white elephant but I was so happy when he took the elephant back to his palace to live a long good life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment