Thursday, April 23, 2015

College Writing Review

I'm a professional writing major; so, writing has played a huge role in my college career thus far. However, the types of writing I do for classes has changed a lot over the past couple of years. Before, in Gen Ed classes and in my minor classes (religious studies and anthropology), analytic research papers were the only type of writing I did for classes. This all changed when I switched majors into PW. In the last year, my class writings have shifted from more academic papers to creative papers.

Every class inside my major has been extremely writing intensive, from Intro to PW, Short Story, and as I'm now beginning to prepare for the Novel class. Outside of my major, I have had some religion and anthropology classes that required a couple big research papers, but none as much writing overall as my major classes. Besides research papers, the two classes I've taken with Laura, Myth-Folklore and this Indian Epics class, have been the most writing intensive outside of my major. That is one of the things I have loved about these two classes. Having at least a story a week to write, along with reading journals and possible outside projects has helped me continue to improve my writing a lot.

The amount of feedback we get in Laura's classes, both from her and from fellow students has been a great help in making me more thoughtful observant in my own writing. Being required to edit and comment on other people's blogs and comments has given me things to pay attention to in my own writing as well. Outside of my major classes, the Myth-Folklore and Indian Epics classes have helped me more in my writing than any other. I've recommended both classes to a lot of people both inside and outside of my major. They have been some of my favorite and most rewarding classes in general, as well as helping my writing improve.
Power of Words by Antonio Litterio. Wikimedia

No comments:

Post a Comment