Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Week 13: Santal Folktales (Reading Diary A)

For this week, I read the Santal Folktales unit of the Un-Textbook.

The stories I'm going to talk about from the first half of this reading unit are the story of the Ghormuhas and the Tiger's Bride.

The story of the Ghormuhas was very different from other stories I've read and I thought it was really interesting. The description of how the ghormuhas lived was just disgusting. The part that shocked me the most was when it talked about how when the ghormuhas parents became old, they would be put on the roof to die. When the parents fell of the roof, the ghormuhas would invite all their friends over and feast on the bodies.

 It was also gross how they described the creatures eating humans. They were very specific about how the ghormuhas prepared and ate the humans. One thing I didn't understand was how the ghormuhas were so fast. I would have thought that since they have only one leg and the huge head like a horse, that they would be much slower than the humans. 

The Tiger's bride was probably my favorite of this half of the unit, although I'm not completely sure why. Once again, it's a story that I don't think I've heard anything like before. When the mother promises her daughter in marriage to anyone who helped her, I expected her to try to back out when the tiger approached but then relent.

Instead she happily gave her daughter to the animal. I also thought that the tiger was going to eat the girl. I was surprised when he instead wanted her to make food and cakes for him and his friend. I liked that the girl tricked the tiger, ultimately leading to the tiger being ostracized by his friends. And finally, I thought the outcome of the story for the girl was interesting. I thought she would go back to her mother but instead she just forever lived in the trees singing the songs about her mother's betrayal. I thought this was a really intriguing and unique story.
Panthera Tigris. Wikimedia.



No comments:

Post a Comment