Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Week 8: Writing Review

One of the things that I like most about this class and Laura's Mythology and Folklore class is the feedback everyone gets on their writing. As a professional writing major, this class is great to help me continue to develop my writing skills. The feedback on the stories I write for this class helps me know what I am doing well and what I need to focus on improving for future stories.

I enjoy reading other people's writings as well as we do in the blog communications each week. For me, reading other people's stories is great to help me see what I can improve in my own. I think the best feedback on stories includes something that the reader likes, and something that the writer can improve, whether grammar, setting, characterization, etc. I try to leave comments that include both of those things when I read other people's stories and those are the types of comments that I find most helpful from others.

Illustration by Warwick Goble in Folk-Tales of Bengal by the Rev. Lal Behari Day

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelsey! I also really enjoy getting feedback from the other students. I agree in that this class has also helped to improve my writing skills and I love being able to get tips on how to become a better writer from my peers! I also think that the best comments include praise and suggestions on how to improve. I try to include both in my comments but I always try to include a lot of praise in the hops that my suggestions do not come off as too harsh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelsey! I bet you love this class since you love to write. Unfortunately, I am not so lucky. I feel like it is so much writing, and I generally don't have much to say. I do enjoy the feedback from my peers. It gives me a proud feeling when I create a story that others really enjoy. I don't have a great imagination so it really means a lot when others appreciate the effort it took me to make something up!

    ReplyDelete