Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Week 5: Maricha's Choice (Storytelling)

I sat quietly on a rock in the middle of the forest. I meditated like this every day now…every day since I fought Rama all those years ago. 

One of the first heroic acts that Rama accomplished was fighting my family. He killed my mother and brother. I barely escaped with my life. After that encounter, I decided that a life of destroying the earth and tormenting of the sages was just not worth the cost. I now live alone in the forest. It was a much more peaceful life than most rakshasas had.

The morning was perfect for meditation. Sunlight filtered through the tree leaves. A stream near by trickled and splashed. I breathed slowly, taking in the tranquility of my surroundings.Birds sang around me and I was overcome by peace.

But the feeling was soon shattered when the birds all went silent and the chill of a shadow loomed above me.

I opened my eyes to discover what had changed my serene environment. A chariot had just landed nearby and my nephew was climbing out of it.

Ravana  walked towards the rock where I sat. I didn't move but watched as he slowly approached. “Uncle,” he said, as he looked over me, “are you doing alright?” I’m sure I looked strange to him, wearing all black deerskin and sitting calmly in the forest. He hadn't visited often since I chose my life of peace.

“Ravana, just tell me what you want,” I said, and began taking deep breaths. I could feel myself getting anxious under the king’s scrutiny.

“A girl,” he answered. “Sita. I think you've heard of her…” I didn’t answer. “She’s the wife of-”

“I know who she is married to! Don’t say his name around me!” I yelled. Then I shut my eyes and focused on calming my heart-rate again. However, Ravana grew impatient.

“Fine," he snapped. "You-know-who has slain armies of our people. He and his brother disfigured my sister. And I want Sita.”

“He let me live once,” I said. “He could have killed me but he let me run. And now I live a life of peace, Ravana. I can’t help you. What you want is foolish. If you keep going, it will be the end of all of us. You’ll lose everything for the sake of one girl who will never accept you.”

My nephew scoffed at me. “I won’t lose. You do realize who you’re talking to, right? I've defeated gods. One man won’t stand in the way of what I want. I’ll steal Sita away and he won’t even know what happened.”

“You sound like a fool. It won’t work. You will die along with everyone else who stands with you. And that won’t include me. I’m not stupid enough to go against him again. If that's all you came here to ask you should just leave me.”

I watched my nephew as a cruel smile spread across his face. “I was afraid you’d say that, Uncle Maricha. I tried to give you a chance and you just wouldn't take it. But you will help me.”

“No,” I said, growing more anxious by the minute. “I’m at peace, Ravana. Leave me be. If I helped you, I’d be dead within a day.”

“If you don’t, you’ll be dead sooner,” he said coldly. “You help me, or I kill you. You will have a chance to escape Rama again if you help but you will die for sure if you refuse. Which will you have? Shall I end you now?”

I watched my cruel, violent nephew analyze my every twitch while I considered his offer. Despite what he said, I knew either way I’d be dead before the sun set this evening. But I suppose I’d rather be killed by Rama, a good, heroic man, than my villainous nephew.

“Fine,” I said slowly, “tell me what to do.” Ravana smiled and I followed him into his chariot as he began talking about the beauty of a golden deer. 

Events at Panchavati Forest. Wikimedia

Author's Note: I chose this story because of I loved all of Maricha's background and life story. Maricha is probably my favorite rakshasa to learn about because of his change from evil and destructive to a calm and secluded lifestyle until Ravana forces him into service. Of all the villains Rama faces in his quests, I feel like Maricha is one of the most innocent even though he helps Ravana kidnap Sita. Of course, Rama doesn't know this because he is unaware of Ravana's threat to Maricha.

After Rama killed Maricha's mother, Tataka, and brother, Subahu, Maricha ran away and swore he would stop his violent tendencies and devote himself to peace and calmness. This part of the original story caught my attention because it seems like most characters in Maricha's situation vow for vengeance and become more evil. However, Maricha tries to make a better life for himself. For years Maricha succeeds until his nephew, Ravana, the King of the rakshasas, comes to Maricha with an ultimatum.

For my story, I kept the beginning and the end the same. I added some information about Maricha's peaceful lifestyle. I also didn't keep any of the dialogue between Ravana and Maricha the same, particularly because they talk for a while. I tried kept the overall feel and message that each character portrayed true to the original. The biggest change was putting the story into Maricha's point of view. 

I thought this made for an good but tragic story because after all his work to change his life, this scene undoes everything he's worked for and effectively signs his death warrant no matter what he chooses. 

Bibliography: Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way. 

7 comments:

  1. Kelsey,
    I really like your story, and the image that accompanies it! I actually think I used that image at some point for one of my stories. I thought it was interesting that you put the story in Maricha's point of view. I really enjoy changing up points of view, so I really appreciate your story! I enjoyed the dialogue between the two, and how you portrayed each character. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey,

    I agree with Dakota - dialogue is definitely your strong suit! It's what I struggle with the most (usually because I'm too impatient to write it. I like to get to the point haha). But here it really helps to define the characters. You can see part of who Maricha used to be in the way he speaks, but also who he is trying to be.

    I felt like the first-person writing style working well for Maricha. I think because he is always meditating, it makes sense that the story would be told in first person. Almost like he is outside himself, looking in on the scene.

    Edits:

    "I decided that my life of destroying of the earth..." should be "I decided that my life of destroying the earth..."

    " I tried to give you a change..." should be "I tried to give you a chance..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I really enjoyed your story from Maricha’s point of view! I enjoyed the detail that you put into this. The way you displayed his peaceful, meditative lifestyle now was great in depicting how he had completely changed his state of mind. It also reminds the readers how selfish and persistent Ravana is. He threatened to kill his own uncle for goodness sake! Thanks for securing the motives of these characters. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kelsey, I found your story to be very interesting, mainly because it was told in Maricha’s point of view. I don’t think I’ve read a storytelling post yet that’s been in his perspective. I like how you portrayed Maricha to be weary and nervous when he was around Ravana. It shows how menacing and evil Ravana can be, which I think was sometimes overlooked when reading the Ramayana. You did a great job in portraying that aspect of him. The dialogue made the scene even more intense, which was enjoyable because it left me on the edge of my seat when reading the conversation between Maricha and Ravana.
    The only error I noticed was where you said, “Then I shut my eyes and focused on calm my heart rate again”. I’m pretty sure you meant to say, “…focused on calming my heart rate again”. Other than that, I really enjoyed you story. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kelsey! I really enjoyed your storybook story! You did such a wonderful job with the detail. I was able to envision everything that occurred because of your vivid descriptions. You made the Maricha really come to life through his thoughts which made for a very interesting story!

    Your dialogue flowed nicely between the characters. You kept me on the edge of my seat wanting to know what would happen next in Maricha’s conversation with Ravanna. I love the foreshadowing when Maricha says, “You’ll lose everything for the sake of one girl who will never accept you.”

    I agree with you in that Maricha is an interesting character and I like that you decided to take his point of view for your story! You came up with an interesting story idea and I was disappointed when Maricha agreed to help Ravanna.

    You are a great writer and I am excited to read more of your stories as we continue on with the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kelsey! First, I thought that it would be helpful if you numbered your portfolio stories so that the readers are sure about what order these stories are to be read. It is just something I think will help organize your portfolio guide a little better. Well, on to the story, I really enjoyed all of the dialogue you created between Ravana and Mariachi. However, I thought that you needed to be careful about all of the page breaks that you used instead of stating you said it after every quotation. It can make it hard to understand who is talking. Furthermore, you gave great background information explaining why Mariachi was hesitant to help Ravana. Your author's note is excellent. It gives the reader your purpose and goal for the story, and I think you hit the nail on the head! Your story flows well, and the paragraph breaks make it easy to read. Overall, a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kelsey, I really liked the dialogue that you have throughout the story. I liked that you illustrated Maricha's point of view. This is a character that we really have not heard much from, so great job on that. I think that your dialoge flowed really nicely between each character. You portrayed Ravana's selfish ways very well. I think that your author's note was really good, it was informative enough for a reader to understand the objective of your story. Great job!

    ReplyDelete