Thursday, January 15, 2015

Week 1: Storybook Favorites

Of the past Indian Epics storybooks I read my three favorites were Hindu Beasts, Hindu goddesses, and How I Met Your Mother. There where many storybooks I liked looking through but these three were the ones that caught my attention the most.

The Hindu Beasts storybook caught my attention because it was different a lot of the other storybooks in its theme. While many focused on gods and goddesses I didn't see many that talked about animal deities. I also liked that the stories were being told to kids as bedtime stories. Of the stories, my favorite was of Hanuma The Brave. I thought it was a well written and very interesting story.
Screenshot Source
The Hindu Goddesses storybook was also very good. Once again I liked that the storybook was bedtime stories. I also loved the background and page theme of this storybook. The pictures were all perfect and the storybook was very well written. I liked that this storybook had more interaction with between the mother telling the story and the little girl. My favorite story of this storybook was the story of Parvati. I thought this was an interesting story and it was a lot of fun to read. This was probably my favorite storybook that I read.
Screenshot Source
The last storybook that I'm going to talk about was the How I Met Your Mother storybook. I absolutely loved the setup of this storybook. I thought it was really creative how the author used the quotes from the tv show and used it to tell stories to different kids to different mothers. The references to the show sprinkled throughout the stories made them fun and entertaining. My favorite story of this storybook was the story of Nala. I liked how this story was told and thought it was very unique. This was really close to being my favorite of the storybooks I looked at.
Screenshot Source

3 comments:

  1. Kelsey,

    These sound like three awesome storybooks! I love the "How I Met Your Mother" book, mainly for its creativity. The "Hindu Beasts" storybook is also fascinating because, like you said, it was interesting to learn about some animal deities that I had never previously explored. The "Hindu Goddesses" is cool because it is nice to learn background on all of them.

    Tess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelsey! I really like the storybooks you picked! The first one caught my attention as well. I read a ton of storybooks about gods and goddesses, and while those can be interesting it was nice to see a change of pace. As I have read through the Ramayana I have seen animals be of huge importance, and most of the god's reincarnations are in the form of animals, so they are obviously very important to Hindu culture. I liked the How I Met Your Mother one as well! That is very clever, and a good idea to use a storytelling platform that is already set up and that most people are familiar with! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kelsey! I think some of the storybooks you picked out were great. I think all of these storybooks are so interesting and are written creatively. But the one that caught my attention the most was the How I Met Your Mother storybook. I was obsessed with that show for the longest time, so I think how they incorporated that show into The Mahabharata is clever. I really like that idea of incorporating modern shows into these Indian epics. But what a great storybook to look at!

    ReplyDelete