Monday, February 23, 2015

Week 7: Folktales from Bengal (Reading Diary A)

This week I read the Folktales from Bengal un-textbook reading. 

One story that I really enjoyed from the first half of this reading unit was the Evil Eye of Sani. In a couple of my anthropology classes over the years, I've learned about myths and legends surrounding different versions the "Evil Eye" in many cultures around the world. Because of that, I thought this story was very interesting.

I liked how it started with the competition between the gods Sani and Lakshmi. The part reminded me a little of the Judgement of Paris in Greek myths. I also thought it was cool how even when it seemed like Sribatsa was just wasting time like with the gold bars from the cow, particularly after his wife was abducted, in the end everything he did worked together to get his wife back, to end the Sani's evil eye on them, and to restore their fortune.
The Goddess, Lakshmi. Wikimedia
While the other stories in this half of the unit were also interesting, my other favorite was the story of the Ghost Brahman. This story was interesting to me because it was unlike any I had heard before. It was unique and entertaining. I couldn't imagine what it was like for the Brahman to go away for years trying to support his family to come back and see someone who looked and acted exactly like him living with his wife and mother. I also loved the end when the neat king tricked the ghost into changing forms so Brahman could have his life and family back. It would have been a huge shock for the mother and wife realizing they hadn't been living with the real Brahman.

I do wish this story had a few more details about the ghost because it almost seemed more like a sorcerer or witch than a ghost in how it was described to transform in order to take over Brahman's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment